a small piece of fried or toasted bread served with soup or used as a garnish.
Croutons are awesome. Those little cubes of golden brown tastiness pack a mighty crunch and I absolutely love them! If your parents are anything like mine though, they’ll probably tell you to stop stealing the croutons and eating so much of them cause they’re soaked in butter and not exactly very healthy ._. But arghhhh, croutons are just too yummy to stop! Hahaha so if you’re like me, this healthier recipe is just for you! :D
Croutons and soup.
The secret? Bake instead of sautéeing, and replace butter with olive oil, and white bread with wholemeal bread. Olive oil is chock full of monounsaturated fatty acids, a type of good fat which has a huge benefit on our cardiovascular system and has been proven to decrease the risk of related diseases such as stroke and high blood pressure. Wholemeal bread is just as good: it is rich in fibre, proteins, complex carbs and a whole lot of other essential nutrients. While toasting the bread will decrease its B vitamins content somewhat, it also decreases the glycaemic index of the bread.
After baking. Toasted some almonds for my salad as well :D
Haha but enough talk! Here’s the super easy recipe, which takes only about 10 minutes to prepare AND cook :D Do note that there are no fixed portions for the ingredients.
Best croutons ever
- A few slices of wholemeal bread (slightly stale is fine)
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- A few cloves of garlic
- Dried herbs
- Cut the bread into bite size cubes; I prefer using a pair of scissors for this. Leave the crust on as they have many times more antioxidants than the insides.
- Finely dice some garlic into pieces as small as possible. 1 medium sized clove should be enough for around 2-3 slices of bread.
- In a mixing bowl, add the bread, minced garlic, EVOO, and dried herbs, and toss till the bread is thoroughly coated. Because I’m lazy, I always just get a bottle of mixed herbs haha :D My favourite brand is MasterFoods; it contains Thyme, Rosemary, Marjoram, Basil, Oregano, and Sage. The herbs and garlic should give the bread enough flavour that you don’t need to add any salt.
- Spread the bread out in a single layer on an aluminium foil lined tray. Bake at around 150°C for around 1-2 minutes (depending on how powerful your oven is), or until the bread starts turning a darker brown.
- Remove the tray from the oven immediately as the bread will still continue cooking for awhile. Leave them to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Serve with soup, salads or just eat them plain :D If you’ve prepared too many croutons and can’t finish them, CALL ME OVER! Hahaha kidding, just store the remainder in an air tight container and it should be able to last a few days.
Croutons and salad.
And that’s it! Super simple right! If you’re feeling especially lazy, you can even skip step 2, or use garlic powder (a lot of them contain preservatives though, so read your labels before buying!). Hope you guys enjoyed this recipe (: